THIS IS WHAT WE STUDY: A SAMPLING OF PROJECTS AND OUTREACH IN THE DEPARTMENT OF GEOLOGICAL SCIENCES
September 10-19: Recruiters will be in the Department
Recruiters from ExxonMobil, Chevron, and ConocoPhillips will be in the Department September 10-19 conducting interviews. If you are seeking employment and want to set up an interview, please see the information on the Graduate Handbook page and follow the instructions.
For each employer you must complete an on-line application prior to an interview, and there are strict deadlines (see "Events and Calendar" on this page)..
IU Bloomington geophysicist explains the Napa earthquake.
August 24: Following the Napa earthquake this weekend, Professor Michael Hamburger did a few press interviews with the local NBC news affiliate WTHR in Indianapolis. He used the opportunity to plant a seed for a little press coverage of the OIINK project. Here’s the original story. There is a teaser at the end about OIINK, including a reference to the participating organizations. And then the follow up piece includes a visit to the G141 "Earthquakes and Volcanoes" class.
Curiosity Rover On Mars
- IU Bloomington geologist reports results of Mars mineralogy investigation. more
- IU geologists David Bish and Juergen Schieber analyze data from Curiosity’s instruments. more
- IU on Mars – David Bish and Juergen Schieber article on Inside IU Bloomington
- NASA: Latest News from Mars
- Finding life beyond Earth: JPL | NASA | NOVA
- Faculty links: David Bish | Juergen Schieber | CheMin PPT
- IU geochemist plays key role in international study of Earth’s critical zone From the IU Newsroom: Critical zone science is reaching critical mass, according to researchers who are involved in the new and comprehensive approach to studying environmental processes. And IU geochemist Chen Zhu is helping take it there. Chen Zhu, professor of geological sciences in the IU Bloomington College of Arts and Sciences, is focusing on expanding the approach to China, where population growth and industrialization are putting heavy pressure on the critical zone. more
- Are you considering Geological Sciences for your career? Because AGI, the American Geosciences Institute just published an article on a report from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics that shows median salaries for Geoscience-related occupations in 2013. more
- The 2014 edition of the Hoosier Geologic Record is now online! This interactive publication is a flip book that can be viewed on desktops, tablets, and smartphones. For more information please see the NEWS section.
- The Mary Iverson Graduate Fellowship. The Department of Geological Sciences at Indiana University celebrates Mary Iverson’s extraordinary impact on the department with the Mary Iverson Graduate Fellowship, If you would like to contribute to the Mary Iverson Graduate Fellowship, please follow this link.
Research Focus Sites
- Shale Research Lab
- Organic Matter from the Santa Barbara Basin
- Southern Caribbean Plate Boundary Studies
- Exploring Deep-Subsurface Life Podcasts
- South Aegean Volcanic Arc Database
Professional Societies, Student Chapters
- GRADUATE STUDENTS |
- Gary Pavlis, Director of Graduate Studies.
- Kaj Johnson, Director of Graduate Admissions.
- Graduate Student 2014-2015 Handbook and Forms
- Travel Request Forms
- Sigma Gamma Epsilon
- Society of Economic Geologists–IU Student Chapter
- IU Geophysical Society
- UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS |
- Jim Brophy, Director of Undergraduate Studies,
- Carlin C. Schrag Undergraduate Academic Advisor.
- Undergraduate classes in geological sciences. Most of these courses fulfill the Natural and Mathematical Sciences requirements.
- Fall 2014 Geosciences Schedule of Classes
- Colloquium Schedule
- Colloquia program will resume on September 8th.
Events and Calendar
- 2014-15 Calendar – Meetings, Deadlines, Events
- Saturday, August 30 Geology Career Skills Workshop Sponsored by SGE and AAPG more
2014 Corporate Recruiting
- Tuesday September 3 Is the DEADLINE for on-line applications for ExxonMobil interviews
- Sunday, September 7 is the DEADLINE for on-line applications for Chevron interviews
- Tuesday, September 9 is the DEADLINE for on-line applications for ConocoPhillips interviews