- Prospective Graduate Students |
- Gary Pavlis, Director of Graduate Studies.
- Grad Student 2016-2017 Handbook and Forms
- Prospective Undergraduate Students |
- Kaj Johnson, Director of Undergraduate Studies
- Kathy Davis Undergraduate Advisor
- Spring 2017 Courses in Geological Sciences
- 2016-17 Department Directory | (PDF)
- 2016-17 Hoosier Geologic Record | PDF
- BSES Program
- Indiana Geological Survey
- IU Judson Mead Geologic Field Station
- Geological Sciences Library Resources
News and Announcements
Earthquake Shakeout Drill at IU
No, it’s not students overwhelmed with mid-semester academic stress...it just so happened that Dr. Michael Hamburger was teaching a class on natural disasters when IU held its first Earthquake Shakeout Drill on October 20. When the mock earthquake occurred in the middle of his class, Dr. Hamburger helped the class practice how to protect themselves to prepare for a future earthquake that will inevitably strike south-central Indiana. More information
New paleontology platform on Notes From Nature
The Indiana University Paleontology Collection has partnered with Notes From Nature to create a new label transcription service specifically for fossils! Notes From Nature creates and provides infrastructure to enable collaborative efforts between research scientists and citizen scientists. This multi-faceted approach enables Indiana University researchers to grant public access to images of the incredible fossils in our collection (we’ve got over 1.5 million fossils!) but also enables interested individuals to assist in the digital data generation process (we’ve got quite the backlog….over 1.5 million fossils!) and metadata curation. More information
Events and Outreach
- October 24: Daniel Horton, Northwestern University.
Title: Impacts of Changing Atmospheric Circulation
- 4:00 p.m. GY126. Refreshments served at 3:30 in the Geology lobby.
IU Geological Sciences will be at Science Fest tomorrow, Saturday, October 22nd 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Tutoring study hours with GeoClub
GeoClub is hosting tutoring/study hours again this semester, every Monday from 5:00pm-7:00pm in room G24. Feel free to come with geology class related questions, and/or for a great place to study.
A new blog about the research going on in the College of Arts and Sciences at IU launched on August 22nd. GeoSci graduate student Anna Nowicki Jesse is a member of the editorial board and a writer for the blog.